Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter weekend, with birds and sunset

In the backyard chez the parents, a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Sphyrapicus varius. If I may quote from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website:

"Although most non-birders believe that the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker is a fictitious bird created just for the humorous name, in fact it is a widespread species of small woodpecker. "


Unfortunately I wasn't able to snap any pictures as it was a long way off and isn't very big to begin with. However, I did get a couple of shots of another visitor, a Northern (Yellow-Shafted) Flicker, Colaptes auratus. Through the trickery of modern digital photography, I've blown it up for you... still a bit fuzzy though. It was also a fair way away. Hm, that seems to be a common refrain whenever I post bird pics. Anyway, here it is, feasting on grubs and things in the grass. It's also a woodpecker. Really.




Neither species is uncommon, but nonetheless we seldom see them, even in the slightly more spacious, 60's era suburbia in which I grew up. Not to mention the rape-and-pillage, raze-the-trees-to-the-ground, late 90's development where I now live.

Speaking of which, the goldfinches at our place are still yellowing up in readiness for summer. I'll see if I can snap a few pictures, next time they're in a cooperative mood. In the meantime, I'll leave you with another sunset shot from the in-laws' place, which is conveniently located in the same town as the out-laws:


sunset over Lake Ontario, April 2007

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ricardipus, nice photos. We have everything nesting at present, it's been very mild. Blue tits, Robins (they've fledged the first brood), too many to list.

WrathofDawn said...

*starts a collection for a telephoto lens for R'pus*

We have blue tits here, too. But it's getting warmer.

*blushes, shuffles away abashed*

Richard Wintle said...

Oh, Dawn...

*sigh*

#Debi said...

*Dawn makes me smile*

Hey, R'pus, I'm doing a flash movie in web class in which I need an image of a raven and one of a wren. Do you happen to have any that you wouldn't mind me using?

rvfxld: what you say when you get blue tits, and then you see the birds...

Richard Wintle said...

Debi - no ravens, no wrens... sorry. Out of focus hawks, I can do.

You know how to program in Flash?

*bows down

#Debi said...

I'm in a Flash class now. Just getting started, but soon Weebl & Bob will have to watch their backs...





(yeah, right...) :^}